Lent 2109: Bowling Together
By Pastor Paul Stumme-Diers
In December I wrote my newsletter article on “Bowling Alone” and how we do well when we are instead “Better Together,” both book titles by Robert Putnam. Inspired by this, our Lenten
theme for 2019 combines the two, and embraces the idea of “Bowling Together.” It may be a bit of a stretch in terms of the image, but my hope is that we find meaning in exploring it.
To begin with, the Bethany community is invited to spend Mardi Gras (actually Monday, March 4) “Bowling Together” at All Star Lanes in Silverdale from 4 to 6 p.m. It promises to be a great time. All you can bowl for $ 7… including cool shoes. Sign up in the hallway.
Next, 40 bowls were painted by Bethany members, then glazed and fired through a local studio. These are beautiful, and will now serve as the bowls used by the Bethany community for our Lenten soup suppers, held at noon and 6:15 p.m. each Wednesday from March 13 through April 10. Come and join us. We are still looking for soup makers for the evening meals. Following the simple meals, we will be having a brief spoken worship at 12:30 and 7 p.m.
The theme of Bowls will be picked up in our worship services throughout the season of Lent:
- Ash Wednesday, March 6, noon and 7 p.m., bowl of ashes
- Wednesday, March 13,12:30 and 7 p.m., baptismal bowl
- Wednesday, March 20, 12:30 and 7 p.m., bowl of prayers/libations
- Wednesday, March 27, 12:30 and 7 p.m., my cup (bowl) overflows
- Wednesday, April 3,12:30 and 7 p.m., empty bowl
- Wednesday, April 10,12:30 and 7 p.m., singing bowl
- Palm/Passion Sunday, April 14, 9:30 a.m., bowl of betrayal
- Maundy Thursday, April 18, noon and 7 p.m., foot-washing bowl
- Good Friday, April 19, 7 p.m., Pilate washing hands in a bowl
- Easter Vigil, April 20, 5 p.m., bowl to be determined
- Easter Sunday, April 21, 9:30 and 11 a.m., bowl to be determined
Come and gather as a community centered in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ, bowling together around the cup of salvation.