Church Office Administrator
Part Time: 20-24 hours per week
Core Office Hours: M-TH 10am-2pm
Support for projects and other church activities outside of core office hours as needed
Bethany Lutheran Church
Bethany Lutheran Church is a Lutheran (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, ELCA) congregation located on Bainbridge Island, Washington, with 250 active worshippers. A Reconciling in Christ congregation, Bethany’s mission statement is:
To seek to do God’s will through joyful outreach near and far, with hospitality toward all, and spiritual growth that amazes.
Reports to: Church Pastor
This position is responsible for ensuring the thoughtful stewardship and management of the church office, communication, publications, facilities, and operations to carry out the mission of Bethany Lutheran Church.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Writes, edits and publishes regular communication pieces: bulletins, newsletters, annual reports, ad hoc emails and website content updates (blogs, prayer requests, calendar updates and other communication pieces). Creates and maintains social media presence beyond website.
Manages the church database: manages church member information for regular directory publications, registrations, volunteer scheduling and overall church calendar; creates and maintains contact lists for various functions.
Fields phone calls, emails, requests and communication with other churches, businesses and organizations in the community, as well as with congregational members and potential visitors.
Organizes office financial documents and coordinates payment of invoices and miscellaneous financial transactions with bookkeeper. Maintains monthly staff payroll.
Coordinates activities and meetings taking place at the church; manages physical space and responds to ad hoc requests. Supports worship with bulletin creation, photography and video production (follows-up with posting to the website and social media).
Maintains office and facility inventory, orders supplies and researches solutions, making recommendations for improvements to church leadership.
As the “face of the church”, conveys Bethany’s culture of hospitality in all situations - from business and community interactions to congregational members and visitors.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively; uses good judgement and creativity in problem solving
- Prior church experience or awareness of church organizations and ministries is preferred
- Excellent professional written and verbal communication skills demonstrating ability to understand each communication’s purpose and audience
- Experience with major office computer applications including Microsoft Office suite, publishing software, social media platforms, basic updates to website content management platform (Ekklesia360), database entry, basic photo editing
- Commit to maintain confidentiality of personal information of the congregation and church staff
- Flexibility in scheduling based on needs of the church and other activities as they arise
- Previous experience managing office operations
- Commitment to forging solid interpersonal relationships, teamwork and support of church’s mission